Top Stories maps
- The Best Ways To Use Google's New My Maps Tool
- The Best Extensions To Make Google Maps Even More Awesome
- How To Set Up The Ultimate Personal Google Maps
- How To Plan A Trip Itinerary Using Custom Google Maps
- Lifehacker Maps: Australian Ghost Towns
- Why I Still Use A Dumb Phone (And Have No Plan To Change)
Yesterday, Google updated its long-forgotten My Maps tool. The service has been masquerading as Maps Engine Lite, but with a new release, a shiny new Android app, and integration with Google Maps proper, it’s worth knowing just what all you can do with it.
Dear Lifehacker, I am planning a motorcycle ride from Melbourne to Brisbane via many back roads to enjoy the scenery. I have created a map with Google Maps Engine but have had no joy in attempting to use the new navigation abilities of the Google Maps Android app to direct me on my route. Is it possible to do that?
Planning a road trip is rarely just about finding the fastest route between two points. You also have to consider stops for petrol, bathrooms, food or entertainment. Alongways is a Google Maps mashup that lets you type in your origin and destination, and search for anything you want along the way, from “pizza” to “dog parks” and everything in-between.