Cooking with plant-based milk can involve some hacks. Like how to prevent it from curdling in your coffee. But we’re here to tell you there is a simple solution for making bao buns with almond milk.
Almond Milk Bao Buns with Glazed Tofu
- 500 g all purpose flour plus extra for dusting
- 25 g potato or corn starch
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 level tsp dried yeast
- 100 ml Califia Farms Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 3 tbsp rice bran oil (or other neutral tasting oil) plus extra for brushing
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar (or white vinegar)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 500 g firm tofu
- Rice bran oil for frying
- 1 tsp miso paste
- 1.5 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp date sirup or brown sugar
- 1/2 lime, juice only
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cm fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1 glove garlic, finely grated
- 1 fresh chill, finely chopped
- 1 orange carrot
- 1 purple carrot
- 1 cucumber
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander leaves
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- In a medium bowl combine flour, potato starch, brown sugar, salt and dried yeast.
- Add Califia Farms unsweetened almond milk, rice bran oil and rice vinegar.
- Knead until an elastic and smooth dough forms.
- Cover the dough with a clean and damp tea towel and let proof in a warm spot for about 45 -60 minutes.
- Dust a working surface with some flour and knead the dough again carefully. Form a long sausage and divide it into 12 pieces.
- Form each dough piece in a round ball, flatten with a rolling pin (about 1 cm thick), fold them over and let the bao buns rest for another 10 minutes.
- In a medium pot bring water to the simmer over medium heat.
- Place a bamboo steamer lined with baking paper on top of the pot.
- Brush the bao buns with a little oil and steam for 7-8 minutes. Don’t open the lid while steaming, this might cause the bao buns to deflate.
- Cut tofu in long and 1 cm thick pieces.
- Heat oil in a medium frying pan over medium-high heat and fry tofu until crisp.
- In a small bowl combine miso paste, soy sauce, sesame oil, date sirup, lime juice, water, ginger and garlic. Stir until all ingredients are well mixed.
- Heat marinade in a small sauce pan over medium heat until thickens.
- Pour over crisp tofu.
- Julienne carrots and cut cucumber in ribbons.
- Fill the warm bao buns with tofu, carrots and cucumber. Garnish with sesame seeds, chilli and fresh coriander leaves.
This recipe makes 12 bao buns, enough for 3 to 4 people.