Most bread is good, but not all bread is good breakfast bread. Though toast is the standard — and biscuits and English muffins are both exemplary — fried bread might be the best bread for breakfasting, particularly hungover breakfasting, both in terms of taste and ease.
[referenced url=”https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2018/05/celebrate-the-royal-wedding-with-this-full-english-casserole/” thumb=”https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/t_ku-large/oujiyvrbapv4n1ikydnq.jpg” title=”Celebrate The Royal Wedding With This Full English Casserole” excerpt=”Hello and welcome back to Will It Casserole?, the column where I take your delicious concepts and re-imagine them as tasty casserole creations. This week we’re taking a very British thing — the “fry up” or “full English” — and putting a spin on it by turning it into a casserole.”]
I first enjoyed fried bread as part of a full English breakfast and, as a Southern person, was honestly shocked that we didn’t think of it first. Frying a piece of white bread in bacon drippings or butter falls completely within my Mississippian aesthetic and it streamlines my morning.
Fried bread is perfectly golden brown and, since you cook it directly in bubbling bacon grease or butter, infused with flavour, meaning you don’t have to mess with a toaster or cold, difficult-to-spread butter.
If you are eating bacon with your breakfast (and of course you are), the process is a simple, very quick one:
- Fry your bacon. Note that your day is already off to a great start, as it is starting with bacon.
- Place your crisp bacon on some paper towels, and turn your burner down a little (medium is good).
- Fry a piece of white bread in the pan you cooked the bacon, in the delicious drippings. A couple of minutes each side is all you need.
- Move the golden brown, bacon-flavoured, griddled bread to a plate.
- Scramble or fry a couple of eggs in the remaining bacon fat. Put it all on a the plate. Eat it. You’re doing great, sweetie.
Fried bread is good with all eggs, particularly those with runny yolks, but don’t limit fried bread to before-noon meals. Fried bread makes an excellent BLT — or simple tomato sandwich with mayo and tomatoes and nothing else.
If you aren’t a fan of bacon, examine your values (or don’t; they’re probably better than mine), and fry some bread in butter. It will still be better than toast, and toast is pretty good to begin with.
The Cheapest NBN 50 Plans
Here are the cheapest plans available for Australia’s most popular NBN speed tier.