For those who missed the memo, McDonald's is bringing back 15 retro Happy Meal toys to celebrate the product's 40th anniversary. We now have the full list of toys - and Muppet Babies aren't included. Nooo!
McDonald's will soon be serving a side of nostalgia with every Happy Meal. Ranging from 1988 to 2013, the throwback toys feature some of the most beloved products to ever grace a Happy Meal.
“Happy Meal toys are nostalgic for Aussies of all ages. By bringing back some of the most popular toys from the last four decades, Australians can get their hands on some of their favourites from the past,” said Jo Feeney, director of marketing for McDonald’s Australia.
As we predicted last week, Muppet Babies are sadly not part of the Surprise Happy Meal lineup. (Disney, which owns the rights to Muppets franchise, ended its partnership with McDonald's several years ago.)
Fortunately, a bunch of third-party toys did make the cut, including Tamagotchi, Furby, My Little Pony, Hot Wheels, Hello Kitty and Loony Tunes. Here's the full list:
- Cowboy McNugget (McDonald’s): 1988
- Fireman McNugget (McDonald’s): 1988
- Mail Carrier McNugget (McDonald’s): 1988
- Hamburger Changeable (McDonald’s): 1989
- Grimace (McDonald’s): 1990
- Dino Happy Meal Box Changeable (McDonald’s): 1991
- McDonald’s Hot Wheels Thunderbird (Mattel): 1993
- Hamburglar (McDonald’s): 1995
- Power Rangers (Hasbro): 1995
- Space Jam Bugs Bunny (Warner Brothers): 1996
- Patti the Platypus (Ty Beanie Baby): 1997
- Tamagotchi (Bandai): 1998
- My Little Pony (Hasbro): 1998
- Furby (Hasbro): 1999
- Hello Kitty (Sanrio): 2013
We're most keen for the Hamburger Changeable robot. Someone needs to start a petition to get the rest of the Changeables range added to the lineup.
We're less enthused by the inclusion of Grimace. He reminds us of the Mountain Man from Deliverance if he was reborn as a malignant, cancerous blob. But to each their own.
The Surprise Happy Meals will be available for a limited time from 21 November.
Your nostalgia glands aren't ready for this. To celebrate 40 years of the Happy Meal, McDonald's is bringing back some of its most-loved toys. (In related news, adult sales of Happy Meals are about to spike dramatically.) Here are the details.