Flickr user José put together this good-looking Linux Mint desktop. It features media controls and a simple launcher at the bottom. Here’s how he set it all up.
José explains (in Spanish, on his Flickr page) how he thought about a number of distros but settled on Mint with Cinnamon for his Toshiba Satellite. Here’s what you’ll need if you want the same setup:
- The Snail desktop from Desktop Nexus
- Conky, a lightweight system monitor for Linux systems
- The Grey Scale Conky Mod to tweak the Conky display on the desktop
- The Coverglobus desktop cover art and media controller for Linux
- The Novatnews skin for Coverglobus
- The Cairo-Dock for the app launcher at the bottom of the screen
- The Simple Icon Theme to customise the dock and system icons
It may look like a lot, but it’s really just a few components and tweaks. We might shrink down Coverglobus a little, but we know that José’s Satellite has a small screen, so he wants to see what’s playing clearly. If you like what you see, or have any questions, make sure to head over to his Flickr page, linked below, to let him know you love his work!