Briefly: Play Store Revamp, $2 Coins Go Purple, Misquoted Song Lyrics
Brief news items of note for Lifehacker readers including: Google refreshes Play Store UI, Australia releases two million special edition $2 coins, the most misquoted song lyrics of all time.
If you get a $2 coin in your change with purple all over it, don’t assume it’s been scrawled on by some bored kid. It’s a special edition coin to celebrate the 60th anniversary of Queen Elizabeth II’s coronation, and two million have gone into circulation. No word if Prince has ordered up a bunch.
Google has rolled out a brand new look for the web-based Play Store. The new design falls in line with the mobile app versions with the same card style user interface. Check it out the fresh look here.
When they’re not being arrogant or complaining about stuff, the French can be side-splittingly funny. This video short from French comedy troupe Suricate re-imagines the movie The Hangover if it starred a bunch of Superheroes. The results are hilarious (and probably not safe for work).
Digital music service Spotify has released a list of the most misquoted lyrics of all time. Elton John’s Tiny Dancer took out the top slot with the misquoted lyric ‘hold me closer, Tony Danza’. You can download the full playlist here. If you can’t be bothered heading over to Spotify, here’s the Top 10 in full:
Street Fighter tournaments are serious business with cheering crowds, sports commentators and everything. At this year’s Evolution Championship Series, a player did the unthinkable and pulled out one of the least popular characters as a wild card. The crowd went bananas. You can watch the results over at Kotaku.
Could HBO be coming after VLC Media Player in its bid to combat piracy? Apparently, the Game Of Thrones broadcaster as issued take-down notices aimed squarely at the media player of choice for BitTorrent users. Read the full report over at Gizmodo.
- Hold me closer, Tony Danza / Hold me closer, Tiny Dancer (Elton John, Tiny Dancer)
- See that girl, watch her scream, kicking the dancing queen / See that girl, watch that scene, digging the dancing queen. (ABBA, Dancing Queen)
- Sweet dreams are made of cheese / Sweet dreams are made of this (Eurythmics, Sweet Dreams)
- In New York, concrete jungle wet dream tomato / In New York, concrete jungle where dreams are made of (Jay Z, Empire State of Mind)
- Honestly, you promised me I’m never gonna find your bacon / Honestly, you promised me I’m never gonna find you fake it (Avril Lavigne, Complicated)
- It doesn’t make a difference if we’re naked or not / It doesn’t make a difference if we make it or not (Bon Jovi, Living on a Prayer)
- Excuse me while I kiss this guy / Excuse me while I kiss the sky (Jimi Hendrix, Purple Haze)
- Come on Barbie, Let’s go Potty / Come on Barbie, Let’s go party (Aqua, Barbie Girl)
- I’m a hip shaking llama, I love you / My hip shaking mama, I love you (Flume, Holdin’ On)
- Should I give up, or should I just keep chasing penguins? / Should I give up, or should I just keep chasing pavements? (Adele, Chasing Pavements)
We’d also like to add Luciano Pavarotti singing about elephants and The Beatle’s She’s Got A Chicken To Ride.