It’s only Thursday, but this week has been a doozy, and I’m guessing one or more of us needs a drink. To get the good stuff in you quickly without sacrificing flavour, try one of these five easy-to-make alcoholic beverages.
Photo by Claire Lower.
- A Classic Martini: A martini may seem fancy, but it’s actually a cinch to make, and only calls for two ingredients (three if you count the garnish). To make one yourself, simply stir 74mL of gin and 15mL of dry vermouth in a glass with ice for about 15 seconds. Strain into a coupe or martini glass and garnish with an olive or twist.
- A Black Velvet: Warm your dark heart with this creamy, yet bubbly beverage by combining two parts sparkling wine with one part of your favourite stout.
- Mint & Amaro: Lean on an amaro‘s complex qualities by shaking a complex Italian liqueur (such as Averna) with mint leaves for a bracing, wintry beverage.
- Something Bitter & Soda: Settle your anxious stomach with an herbal liqueur such as Campari or Cynar, diluted with just enough soda water to take it from “syrupy” to “sippable.”
- Red Wine Hot Chocolate: Comfort your inner child and calm your inner demons at the same time by mixing a big, bold red wine with decadent, sweet hot chocolate. Just melt 1/3 cup of dark chocolate chunks in 1 1/2 cups of hot milk and stir in a cup of wine. Sip until you feel a little better.
If none of that helps, or is just too much effort in these trying times, I recommend reaching for a bottle of brown liquor and consuming it neat. Serious situations call for serious beverages.