Why You Should Think Twice About Trying To Salvage Mouldy Food

If you have a block of cheese or loaf of bread that is showing signs of mould, you might think it's OK to just slice off the mouldy bits and enjoy the rest. In some cases, that's perfectly legitimate, but it's a really bad idea in other cases. This video explains when it's OK and when it can be harmful to your health.

The long story short is that on the microscopic level mould -- which, as you might already know, is a fungus -- grows in tiny strands called Hyphae. Those hyphae aren't visible to the naked eye, so even though you can see a big section of your bread or cheese or fruit or vegetables that have mould on it and cut it off, there are probably additional strands of the mould colony spidering through the soft parts of whatever food it is that's gone off.

This is less of an issue with foods that are dense and hard, such as hard cheese and cured meats. For soft and porous foods though, including bread or veggies, this means cutting off the "bad part" may not eliminate the problem. Of course, your safest bet is to just throw the spoiled food away. Whatever you choose to do, this video from the folks at DNews will help you make the best call for your health and your kitchen.

Can You Cut the Mold Off Food and Eat It? [DNews]


Comments

Join the discussion!