Facebook's new Timeline feature is rolling out to all users, and while we think it's pretty awesome -- not to mention ripe for customization -- there are a lot of people who aren't big fans. If you don't really like the Timeline view, here's how to get rid of it.
This method won't take you back to the old layout, but it will get rid of some of Timeline's clutter, like the cover photo, friends box, and two-column view. The layout will still be different and timeline-y, but it will be much cleaner. It won't change anything about how other people see your profile -- just how you view Facebook on your machine. All you need is an extension called Social Fixer. Here's what you need to do.
- Head to Socialfixer.com and install the extension for your browser. It's available for Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Opera, and any browser that supports Greasemonkey. Sadly, Internet Explorer is not supported.
- Once you've installed it, navigate to Facebook.com. You'll notice that there's a lot of extra clutter there right off the bat, but don't worry: we'll fix that in a moment. Look up at the top of the page, to the left of your name. You should see a new wrench icon. Click on that and choose "Social Fixer Options".
- Before you do anything else, go through each of the categories and uncheck every box. There are a lot of useful features in there, but for now, we're going to leave them all blank so we can view Facebook as we're more used to it. If you see features you like, you can go back and re-enable them later on. For now, uncheck everything you see.
- Go to the "Timeline" section of Social Fixer's options, and check the bottom four boxes: "Display posts in a single column", "Hide cover photos", "Hide the friends box", and "Hide maps of check-ins". Click Save.
- Find a Facebook profile that has Timeline enabled (whether it's your own or someone else's). You should find that while the basics of Timeline are still intact (like the "About" link or the new square profile picture), all the annoying parts are gone. The cover photo, friends box, maps box, and dual-column view have all been obliterated, and you can view Facebook in a much more eye-friendly format.
Again, remember that other people will still view your profile as the original Timeline view -- so you can still add a cover photo for their viewing pleasure, if you wish. I also recommend browsing through Social Fixer's options when you get a chance. There are some pretty cool features in there, like changing the font sizes, hiding the "ticker", and more. If you want to uninstall Social Fixer and take Facebook back to the way it was, you can do so from your browser's add-on page (Firefox > Add-Ons in Firefox, and Wrench icon > Tools > Extensions in Chrome).
Got any other tips for making Timeline more bearable? Share them in the comments below.