Maintain Focus On Your Goals By Treating Your Life Like A Diet

When trying to lose weight or get healthier, most people clear out the junk food and sugar. The Harvard Business Review suggests treating the rest of your life like this — restructure your environment to focus on your most important priorities.

Photo by o5com.

There are too many temptations that draw us away from our true values and priorities. HBR says “It’s like trying to lose weight while living in a candy store.”

To make sure you make progress on the good stuff and not the junk, the article recommends identifying up to five things you want to focus on for the year and spend 95 per cent of your time on those things; the other 5 per cent is like sugar — OK in little doses only. Each morning take a look at those five important items plus your “other” box and choose what to work on that day.

Obviously if your work day and tasks are dictated by others, you may need to sit down with them to share your new “diet” or plan, or at the very least you can use his strategy to use your spare time more wisely. It’s kind of like purging your schedule like you would a packed fridge.

How to Stay Focused on the Important Things [Harvard Business Review]

The Cheapest NBN 50 Plans

Here are the cheapest plans available for Australia’s most popular NBN speed tier.

At Lifehacker, we independently select and write about stuff we love and think you'll like too. We have affiliate and advertising partnerships, which means we may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page. BTW – prices are accurate and items in stock at the time of posting.


Leave a Reply