I'm a pretty clean person. I wash my bedding weekly, I use a daily shower spray, I even wash my trash can regularly, but I do not wash my coffee pot. A simple rinse is good enough. (The only exception is the time I forgot to rinse, dump, and rinse it before I went out of town, and mould grew on the residual coffee; I definitely washed it then.)
So what I want to know is what you don't clean or wash fully in your kitchen, or don't clean frequently. I'll start by listing all of mine:
- The coffee pot: As we just discussed, I simply rinse it. This also applies to the little basket that holds the grounds.
- My coffee grinder: Trying to clean it with bread just made my grinder all crumby, and I've never noticed an off-flavour from any "old" grounds.
- My knives (sometimes): Unless they're super sticky, I often just wipe them with a damp cloth before returning them to their magnetic strip.
- My cast iron pan and my nonstick pan: Again, it depends on the project, but a lot of times a wipe down with a damp paper towel or wash cloth is good enough.
- The oven: OK, I really should clean this. I just never have. Maybe I'll do it this weekend (I won't).
Alright, now it's your turn. Tell me your dirty little secrets and - if you happen to have any tips on cleaning hard-to-clean kitchen stuff - I'll take those too.