Video: Don’t know how to plunge a toilet? Still taping Scarface posters to your wall? Not sure whether that shirt really needs to be washed or if it can last another few days? We’ve been there, and we’re here for you. This is Lifehacker’s Adulting series, where we’ll guide you through some real-world basics to help you take charge of your life. Now clear away those beer pong cups — we have work to do.
In this episode, we cover how to equip your first kitchen.
- Chef’s knife (10 or 25cm)
- Cutting board
- Pan (something in the 30cm range)
- Sheet pan
- Can opener
- Vegetable peeler
- Silverware for four
- Sponge and dishwashing liquid
- Garbage bags
- Fire extinguisher (make sure to check the expiration date!)
Some grocery shopping tips
- A rotisserie chicken can give you a variety of meals throughout the week.
- Foods that can get you out of an energy slump include oatmeal, bananas, yoghurt, cereal and almonds.
- You can spruce up a jar of plain tomato sauce with your own fresh herbs, chilli flakes or red wine.
- Don’t forget about spices. Some that are always worth having around: Salt, pepper, cinnamon, cayenne and dried oregano.
In the next episode, we’ll talk about basic home decorating.