Not all mattresses are made equal. Likewise, not everyone has sex the same way. If you're wondering whether a particular mattress can handle how you conduct your business, sleep blog Sleep Like the Dead has your back.
Photo by Martinak15
The guide looks at a variety of criteria such as how bouncy it is, how much friction it can withstand and how supportive various areas of the mattress are. The site examines memory foam, air, water, latex and innerspring mattresses. That results in this handy table:
Of course, a simple "B-" rating doesn't really tell you much about how well a bed performs in bed. Sleep Like the Dead breaks it down even further with an analysis of each different type of mattress:
About 61% of memory foam mattress owners who commented on the subject believe their mattress to be average or better for sex. The remaining 39% believe it to be poor or below average for sex. It is important to note that low- and medium-density memory foam mattresses tend to be viewed as more suitable for sex than high-density memory foam mattresses, such as certain Tempur-Pedic models...
Some memory foam bed owners love their bed for sex but hate it for sleep, and vice versa. In addition, it seems that people who are willing to adjust their sexual practices to suit the bed, as opposed to fighting it, are more happy with its suitability for sex.
The breakdown is a pretty fascinating read across the board. Most of us probably prefer not to talk to a mattress salesman about the sexual benefits of a particular bed while in the store, so this guide is a handy substitution.
Mattress Types and Sex Suitability: Ratings and Comparisons [Sleep Like the Dead]