With the news that Google is killing off Reader, dedicated Reader enthusiasts will want to make a copy of their existing subscriptions so they can use them once they pick an alternative. Here's what to do.
Exporting your Reader feed is relatively straightforward thanks to Google's Takeout service. Here's what you need to do:
- Go to google.com/takeout. (If you're not already signed in to your Google account, it may ask you to do so.)
- Click on 'Choose services', then click on Reader.
- Google will begin preparing an archive; wait until it displays a 100% message.
- Click on 'Create Archive'.
- Once the archive is created, you can download it as a zip file by clicking on 'Download'.
- You'll be asked to verify your password before the download begins.
That archive (which consists of a set of XML and json files) can be used by a range of Reader alternatives, so it's definitely worth having. Not all readers will use all features (such as stars), but almost anything will be able to read the basis subscription XML.