Well, parents, it’s almost the end of another school year. Here’s a fun thing to do before your kids get home on their final day: Have a “finish line” at your doorway for them to run through. This could be in the form of streamers and balloons, a “Welcome to Summer” banner, or an army of family members with squirt guns.
Why should you do it?
1) It doesn’t take much effort.
2) Your children deserve to throw up their arms like Rocky after chugging through months of school work and 6 AM alarm clocks.
3) These are the moments, people. Your sweet little babies are growing up. Sniff.
Pick what’s doable. My daughter has school year-round (#blessed), but I still wanted to do this on her preschool graduation day (yes, this is a thing).
Here are some other simple ways you can celebrate your kid’s final bell of the year:
- Gather at the bus stop with a group of parents and spray Silly String at the kids as they get off the bus.
- Have a special dinner that evening – a backyard picnic, perhaps?
- Give your kid a bucket of items to signify summer: Sand toys, bubbles, some icy pops.
- Make a end-of-the-school-year cocktail for yourself. Because you know you’re in for a long few months. Welcome to summer!