How To Enrol Or Change Your Address For Australia’s Same-Sex Marriage Survey

Next month, the country will participate in the Australian Marriage Law survey; a postal vote designed to gauge Australia’s appetite for a change to the Marriage Act that would allow same-sex couples to be lawfully wed.

Although the survey is not compulsory, this is an issue that every Australian should absolutely vote on. If you’re not on the electoral role or have recently changed addresses, you only have two more days to update your status. Here are all the links and info you will need.

To participate in the Australian Marriage Law survey, you must be enrolled to vote by August 24. The ABS also requires your current address so it can send out the survey form. (Unlike the 2016 Australian Census, there is no online option.)

If you recently turned 18, have never registered to vote or recently moved house, you will need to make the necessary changes immediately or risk missing out on voting. Fortunately, it’s a relatively simple process to update your details online. Here are the steps.

Marriage Equality Vote: How to check your enrolment status

If you want to check your enrolment status or need to enrol to vote, you can head to the Australian Electoral Commission website.

Marriage Equality Vote: How To Enrol Online

Here is the link to enrol to vote online. This is an 11-step process comprising your State or Territory, Citizenship, Evidence of identity (such as driver’s licence or passport number), Name, Personal details, Current residential address, Postal address, Contact details and Declaration. You can use the online form whether you’re enrolling to vote for the first time or re-entering the electoral roll.

Marriage Equality Vote: How To Change Your Address

Here is the Change Your Address link for the Australian Marriage Law Postal Survey. If you are enrolled but have recently moved you need to update your details by 24 August 2017 to participate in the survey.

Marriage Equality Vote: How To Vote If You Have No Fixed Address

It’s still possible to enrol of you have no fixed address. You may use the address where you were last eligible to enrol, the address where your next of kin is enrolled, in the electorate where you were born, or in the electorate for which you are most closely connected. Here are the Enrolment for persons with no fixed address forms for each State and Territory.

Marriage Equality Vote: What If I Don’t Have Access To The Internet?

The Australian Marriage Law Postal Survey Information Line is now available on 1800 572 113. It is open seven days a week, from 8am to 8pm (local time). In addition to answering survey-related queries, the Information Line can confirm your enrolment for you over the phone.

You can find out a bunch of additional information at the below link. Remember: while non-binding, the results of this postal vote will help shape the government’s perception of the will of the people. Your vote matters. Enrol today.

[referenced url=”” thumb=”×231.jpg” title=”Australian Marriage Equality Vote: Everything You Need To Know” excerpt=”Starting in September, Australians will have the opportunity to vote on the issue of same-sex marriage in Australia via a postal survey. There’s a lot of information to take in and not all of the language is easy to understand. We’ve collated everything we know about the survey right here.”]

The Cheapest NBN 50 Plans

Here are the cheapest plans available for Australia’s most popular NBN speed tier.

At Lifehacker, we independently select and write about stuff we love and think you'll like too. We have affiliate and advertising partnerships, which means we may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page. BTW – prices are accurate and items in stock at the time of posting.


One response to “How To Enrol Or Change Your Address For Australia’s Same-Sex Marriage Survey”