The OpenStack Foundation User Survey [PDF] has been released with the 44% more deployments of the open source IaaS platform and 22% more companies than a year ago. The ninth User Survey found almost a third of the users have 10,000 employees or more, while 25 percent of organisations have fewer than 100 employees. The majority of deployments are outside of the United States.
Some of the survey’s key finding were:
- The typical size of an OpenStack cloud size increased; 37% of clouds have 1,000 or more cores, compared to 29% last year, and 3% of clouds have more than 100,000 cores. The number of users using Nova cells also increased 218%
- 16% of deployments provisioned more than 1 petabyte of object storage, up from 4% last year
- Containers remain the top emerging technology of interest to users. 65% of those running OpenStack services inside containers use Docker runtime, while almost half of those using containers to orchestrate apps on OpenStack use Kubernetes.
- Two-thirds of OpenStack clouds are production workloads.
- The typical deployment runs nine projects, with 16% running 12 or more projects.
Registrations for the OpenStack Australia Day event, being held in Melbourne on 1 June 2017, are open.