Which Occupations Is The Tax Office Targeting This Year?

Which Occupations Is The Tax Office Targeting This Year?

Yes, the financial year is almost over, so it’s time for our annual Tax Week series of posts, looking at how to organise your tax affairs and maximise your returns. Let’s kick off with a perennial topic of interest: which occupations will the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) be paying special attention to this year?

Every year, the ATO picks out selected jobs (typically those which have seen problems with deductions in previous years) and contacts people working in those fields to remind them of the rules for what can and can’t be legitimately claimed. Last year, IT workers and plumbers were reminded to check their claims carefully.

For the 2012/2013 tax year, three groups are under scrutiny: building construction managers, building labourers and sales and marketing managers. The ATO has sent reminder letters to 218,000 people working in those fields.

Not being on the list doesn’t mean the ATO won’t closely scrutinise your return to ensure any deductions claimed are legitimate. (One common error? Claiming a work-related expense that your employer has reimbursed you for.) However, if you do fall into one of those categories, taking extra care would seem wise.


  • Yes I received a letter from the ATO last week advising I fell into one of those category’s and that I may be audited. I also received a 2nd letter from the ATO reminding me of my tax obligations as I own an investment property.

    • “The Tax Office” is the subject of the heading, and is singular, so “is” is correct.

      If you wanted to use “are”, you have to use passive voice to flip the subject and object:

      “Which occupations are being targeted by the Tax Office this year?”

  • But the Tax office is singular? You wouldn’t say ‘That horse are looking for water’.
    Edit: Sorry – it’s referring to occupations (not the Tax office)… so yes, you’re correct

  • As a contractor “Claiming a work-related expense that your employer has reimbursed you for” is actually the right way to go, as long as you also claim the reimbursement as income. Interestingly you have to charge gst on top of the reimbursement, so it doesn’t work out so well for employers.

    • Actually dude it has no effect on the employer if they pay GST or not – if its paid then they can claim it back on thier activity statement.

Show more comments

Log in to comment on this story!