3D gaming won't appeal to everyone, but one useful feature of the 3DS is that you can turn the 3D option off. That means it's a potential portable gaming option even if, like me, you get sick at the sight of any sort of 3D.
Obviously, not everyone who wants a 3DS is going bargain hunting; our resident gaming guru Mark over at Kotaku reports that pre-sales for the device are the highest in Nintendo's history. But if you do want more for your money and haven't ordered yet, there are a few options, split between discounts on the device itself and getting extras bundled with the console:
- Kmart wins the outright price war, with the 3DS on offer for $288.
- As several commenters have pointed out, JB Hi-Fi has the 3DS for $298 with an accessory pack, which is pretty close to the Kmart deal.
- Dick Smith has the 3DS for $328, with free delivery for online orders. (The Dick Smith catalogue suggests "checking online" for pricing, so it might end up matching prices in store on the day; it certainly can't hurt to ask!)
- MWave has the 3DS for $338.
- The Good Guys has the console for $347, including one 3D game (from a choice of Ridge Racer 3D, Star Wars III, Nintendogs, Splinter Cell 3D or Street Fighter 3D).
- Target has a bundle of the 3DS, a case and one game (from a choice of Rayman 3D, Rabbids 3D or Ghost Recon Shadow Wars 3DS) for $339.
- Big W has the 3DS with a "starter kit" including case, earbuds and spare stylus, plus your choice of either Rayman 3D or Ghost Recon Shadow Wars 3D, for $348. An alternative offer is the device for $348 with free delivery if you order online. Big W is also offering an extra 1,000 Everyday Rewards points to 3DS buyers, though this is an opt-in offer that only works if you get sent a specific email about it linked to your existing Everyday Rewards account.
- EB is charging the full $349 price on pre-orders, but does have one offer that might appeal if you're planning an iPad 2 upgrade: you can trade in an original 32GB iPad and get a free 3DS.
Obviously, with the cheaper prices, you'll want to hit the relevant stores as early as possible.
Found other 3DS bargains? Share them in the comments.