It sucks, but we're all going to have to get used to it: the 3.5mm headphone jack is slowly disappearing from modern smartphones. No longer just a 'feature' of iPhones, the lack of headphone jack has also spread to phones by Huawei, Google, HTC and a number of other manufacturers. If you want to keep using your old headphones with these phones, here are the adaptors you need.
If you buy a new iPhone from now on, you won't have the choice to pick one with a headphone jack, and while there are rumors that Apple will eventually change to USB-C, for now you'll still be looking at lone lightning ports. Here are some of the best lightning to 3.5mm adaptors you can get.
- Apple brand adaptor: $11 at Big W. If you want to stick with proper Apple products, you can grab their adaptor cheapest at Big W.
- Belkin 3.5 mm Audio + Charge RockStar: from $49.95. Belkin's RockStar adaptors split your lightning port into both a 3.5mm jack and a second lightning port for charging at the same time.
- RayCue Lightning to 3.5 mm Headphone Jack Adaptor: from $16.99 on Amazon. For a similar form to the Belkin adaptor but a cheaper price, check out this RayCue charge and headphone adaptor on Amazon.
- Zerkaka Lightning Headphone Audio + Charger Adaptor: from $11.99 on Amazon. Another take on the charge and headphone jack, this two-pronged version is a little less bulky.
- Aceyoon 2 in 1 Lightning Adaptor: from $8.98 on Amazon. Aceyoon's adaptor has a bit of a different form factor, with a straight bar that will sit across the bottom of your iPhone, lightning port on one end and 3.5mm jack on the other - however some have reported having issues with the Aceyoon's functioning.
If you're grabbing any non-Apple phone without a headphone jack, you'll want a USB-C adaptor to plug into. Due to some weirdness between brands, however, not all adaptors work with all phones Here are some of the best options.
- Google's USB-C Digital to 3.5 mm headphone adaptor: from $16. Google offers its own branded adaptor, as the newer Pixels don't have a headphone jack. The dongle should work on all Android phones, however.
- Sony USB Type-C 2-in-1 Cable: from $27. Sony sells a dual charge and headphone adaptor for its jackless Xperia phones. This also works with some other Android phones - but not all of them. Check out the list from The Verge here.
- Stouchi USB C to 3.5mm Headphone Jack Adaptor: from $19.90 at Amazon. While Amazon is full of USB-C adaptors of varying quality, the Stouchi is a simple, dependable adaptor for Android phones that'll work as well as, if not better than, the various branded models.
- DISDIM 2 in 1 USB-C Adaptor: from $36.99 at Amazon. If you're looking for a charge + headphone adaptor for your Pixel phone, check out Disdim's adaptor on Amazon. While there are no reviews on the AU site, customer reviews on international versions of Amazon suggest the Disdim works fine with Pixel phones.
Are there any other 3.5mm jack adaptors you've tried and would recommend? Let us know in the comments!