Root & Bone
There’s a lot in this recipe to love (bacon? apples? onions?), but the real key, Janine says, is to pick the biggest Brussels sprouts possible, then cut out the core and peel apart the leaves to ensure they are neither over- nor under-cooked.
- 28g of Brussels sprouts
- 85g of diced bacon
- 1 tbsp of oil and vinegar
- 85g chopped apples
- 28g toasted sunflower seeds
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/4 of an onion
- 85g of butter
You can adjust those to fit whatever you want (less butter, more bacon, and so on), then start cooking:
- Cut the core out of the Brussels sprouts and peel the leaves off layer by layer.
- Start cooking the bacon on high heat. Once the fat is rendered, add the onions and garlic.
- After a minute, add the Brussels sprout leaves, salt, and pepper. Toss everything together and add the butter, too.
- After about 45 seconds in the pan, the Brussels sprouts will start to wilt. Finish off the dish with the apples, toss everything one last time, and enjoy.
Vegetables never tasted so good.