You wanted an NBN tier comparison, the essential apps and downloads for all your devices and lovehacker tips. Kick off your Monday by checking out the ten most popular posts from Lifehacker Australia last week:
- Planhacker: Which NBN Tier Provides The Best Value? Australia’s National Broadband Network (NBN) currently provides five wholesale access speeds known as “tiers”. The highest tier (Tier 5) provides download speeds of up to 100 Mbps, while the lowest tier (Tier 1) barely rivals traditional ADSL2+. But how do they compare on price? Let’s find out…
- PSA: No 'Rosie Recaps' For The Bachelorette [Updated]
Australian blogger Rosie Waterland is best known for her weekly ‘Rosie Recaps’ of reality TV series The Bachelor. Whether you love Channel Ten’s televised ode to polygamy or hate it, Rosie’s weekly “Bachie” recaps were never less than hilarious. Tomorrow night, the fun begins anew with The Bachelorette Series 2. Unfortunately, there will be no Rosie Recaps this time around, or ever again. (Hashtag. Devo.) Here’s why.
- The Essential Apps And Downloads For All Your Devices [2016 Edition]
Each year, we round up the must-have apps, extensions and downloads for every major computing platform — from Android and iPhone to Chrome, Windows and Linux. Here they all are, in one tidy package. Without a shadow of a doubt, these are the best productivity and entertainment programs for your hardware. Best of all, most of them are completely free.
- A Doctor Explains The Pros And Cons Of Common Sex Positions
To paraphrase award-winning author Garth Marenghi, there are only three heterosexual sex positions worth a damn: doggie, woman on top and “normal”. But which one is best?
- Here's Everything We Know About 'Pixel': The First Smartphone Built By Google
In two weeks from now we will likely have official confirmation of brand new smartphones from Google, the first to be designed by the company itself. The web giant has teased an unveiling set for 2am AEST October 5, and unless it’s planning to reveal a completely unexpected product that just happens to have the rounded oblong dimensions of a smartphone, it seems like the long-held rumours of a Google phone will come to pass. Here’s everything we know so far.
- Lovehacker: My Girlfriend Wants Us To Be Poly
Dear Lovehacker, My girlfriend of five months has asked how I’d feel about our relationship opening up (i.e. — becoming polyamorous) though she hasn’t fully specified what that means for us yet. I don’t think I could really define myself this way, and I’m really not sure how this will affect our relationship moving forward. What should I be bracing myself for, best and worst case, and is it fair or selfish of me to consider this a dealbreaker? Thanks, r-matt.
- The Samsung Galaxy Note 7 Is Finally Back On The Market
Samsung has confirmed that Galaxy Note 7 replacement stock is available for Australian customers from today. Earlier this month, the handset was recalled due to a battery fault that could potentially cause fires. The vendor has released a software update that will cap the maximum charge of batteries on recalled Note 7 handsets to 60%. Here’s what you need to know.
- Allo, Google's New Smart Messaging App, Is Rolling Out Now
Android/iOS: Today, Google’s rolling out Allo, the messaging app it previewed at I/O earlier this summer. This is also the first real glimpse we get into the new Google Assistant.
- Now Is The Time To Buy A 4K TV
4K TVs have come a long way. They used to be expensive, there was nothing to watch on them and you could do better for less buying 1080p. That’s not the case any more: There’s plenty to watch, new 4K panels have a ton of features and they’re affordable enough for everyone now. If you’ve been waiting, now it’s safe to start looking.
- How To Eliminate Soft Drink From Your Life Forever [Infographic]
Sugar-laden soft drinks are one of the biggest causes of obesity in the western world. According to the Australian Bureau of Statistics, Australians drink a whopping 100 litres of soft drink per head each year and we’re getting fatter as a result. If you’ve grown a (ginger) beer belly in recent years, it’s probably time to cut soft drinks from your diet for good. This infographic provides 12 proven weaning tactics to help you quit.