This OS X desktop is simple, elegant, and combines a few simple widgets with a gorgeous wallpaper to great effect. If you like what you see, here's how you can set it up, customise your own menubar, and give your Mac the same look.
This desktop comes to us from DN Carr, who submitted it to our Desktop Show and Tell Pool over at Flickr. To make it your own, you'll need to use GeekTool, which we have a great getting started guide for here.
Once you have it installed and have a handle on the basics, here's what you'll need:
- The wallpaper
- The GeekTool system monitor and configuration utility for OS X to create the time and date display
- The Bowtie utility for the Now Playing display
- The Gill Sans Bowlet specifically, with a few modifications (he provides the specific file he's using here)
- The Bartender utility to rearrange items in the Mac's menubar
- The cDock 2 utility and Liteicon to customise the dock
- The Zion icon pack to change the system icons
- The Champagne and Limosuines system font
All in all, there's a lot of tweaking and customisation going on here to make it just the way DN Carr likes it, but the effect is minimal and good looking. As always, you can take or leave the components you like for your own system — maybe you don't need the time and date on the desktop, but you do like the icon pack and the customised dock, for example. Either way, hit the link below to see more about how he made it, and to let him know how much you like his work.
The Edge of the World [Flickr]