In our modern world, our work means something more to us than it did to our ancestors. It's not just about survival or necessity anymore, it's also about finding a career with meaning that brings satisfaction to our lives. It's not always easy to find fulfilment in a career, but here are some nudges in the right direction.
This video from The School of Life YouTube channel explores the modern concept that work should bring fulfilment along with security. Whatever your situation may be, finding meaningful work may only seem like a luxurious perk that very few are privy to. Yet many of us dream of pursuing our passions or living off our own creations.
There are plenty of arguments out there for what a career should be — and fulfilment can mean different things to different people — but there many who feel stuck. Like work is only a grind that's slowly wearing them down. If you feel stuck or that your job isn't enough, here are a few important things to keep in mind as you figure out what fulfilling work means to you:
- It's normal to be confused: There is a much higher number of career options this day and age then there were in the past. Don't stress.
- Know yourself: Filter through your tastes by listing everything you've ever enjoyed doing or making. You can't do what you want until you know what you like.
- Think, think, think: It will take time for you to determine what's fulfilling to you, but it will take even longer if you don't truly take the time to think on it.
- Try new things: You'll get to know yourself and find what you like faster by doing things you haven't done before. Maybe you'll find something new that you love, or maybe you'll find that you were right all along.
- Reflect on what makes people unhappy: Businesses and occupations are merely solutions to people's problems. What can you do that would make people happy?
Lastly, find a way to be confident in yourself. Real confidence may carry you farther than any skill could. But you should still ask yourself "what are you good at?" Take pride in yourself and what you are capable of. We all want to lead the most fulfilling lives possible, but satisfaction doesn't just fall into your lap. You need to go out and find it. The whole video is worth a watch, so be sure to check it out.
How to Find Fulfilling Work [The School of Life/YouTube]