Brief news items of note for Lifehacker readers including: 26 amazing cartoon backgrounds brought into focus, Facebook breast-grope leads to firing, the most beautifully lyrical glass-blowing video you’ll ever see.
- Posting a picture on Facebook of your boyfriend playfully touching your clothed breast can get your fired from your job — at least, it can if you live in America. Pocatello High School teacher Laraine Cook was handed her walking papers after a Facebook photo emerged in which her fiance is touching her breast. (Her fiance is also a high school coach in the same school district but was only given a reprimand.) Despite being clothed and outside school grounds, the district deemed it an “immoral” photo. You can read the full report at Business Insider.
- There are some things in life you should never pay full price for — including Apple products. This week, Dick Smith is offering 10 per cent off its Apple computer range.
- Footage of glass blowing might not sound particularly compelling, but there’s something different about the 1959 Academy Award-winning documentary, Glas. The entire 10-minute short is set to an occasionally eerie mixture of jazz, bebop, and the metallic punctuations of industry at work. Click here for a taste of history.
- Yesterday, Telstra announced it would be offering free calls and texts to the Philippines to assist families and loved one affected by Typhoon Haiyan. Now, Optus has also issued a statement promising its customers free calls and SMS messages through to midnight on Sunday 17 November. [Via OzBargain]
- The focus of most animated features and cartoons are the characters in the foreground, but often the backdrops are just as stunning and beautifully realised. Here are 26 stills of amazing cartoon backgrounds that deserve to be hung on a wall.
- You knew it was coming. The Oculus Rift virtual-reality gaming headset has been converted into a sex simulator; complete with a sensor-equipped masturbation sleeve that responds to the ‘action’ onscreen (i.e. — a manga character performing virtual sex acts on your avatar.) It’s about as creepy and unsettling as it sounds — click here to see a video.