Want full control over your iOS device? Then jailbreaking is for you. This is our guide to jailbreaking your iPhone or iPad to run with iOS 6.1.2.
Current iOS Version: iOS 6.1.3
iOS 6.1.3 is the current version of iOS and is not jailbroken. If you want to jailbreak iOS 6, you must have version 6.1.2 or earlier installed on your device.
Current Untethered Jailbreak: iOS 6.1
The Evasi0n jailbreak described in this guide works on iOS 6.0, 6.0.1, 6.0.2, 6.1 and 6.1.2. It can be installed on the iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPad 2, iPad 3rd generation, iPad 4th generation, iPad mini, iPod touch 4th generation and iPod touch 5th generation. For additional jailbreak options for older versions of iOS, please see the list at the bottom of this page.
Current Tethered Jailbreak: iOS 6.1.2
We do not recommend tethered jailbreaking, as it requires you to connect your iDevice to your computer to boot it every time. This is especially bad with new operating system releases, as they tend to freeze up more often. You don’t want your device freezing up and becoming unusable while you’re out and about. Fortunately, the Evasi0n method described in this guide is an untethered jailbreak, and it works on pretty much every device, so there’s no reason you’d need to perform a tethered one. Tethered jailbreaks are only interim solutions when untethered jailbreaks aren’t available.
Not sure if you should jailbreak?
How To Jailbreak
Just follow these steps to jailbreak your iDevice, or watch the video above for a demonstration.
- Download Evasi0n for your operating system (Windows, Mac or Linux).
- Open up the Evasi0n app that you downloaded. Connect your computer to your device. If you have passcode lock enabled, go into the Settings app on your device and temporarily disable it in the General —> Passcode Lock section. (You can re-enable it after the jailbreak is complete.) Back on your computer, click the Jailbreak button in the Evasi0n app window. It will take awhile to upload some necessary jailbreak data, and your phone should restart during this process. Wait for Evasi0n to finish this step.
- As part of the process, Evasi0n installs a temporary jailbreak app on your device. When ready, it will prompt you to open it. Simply unlock your device, then tap on the jailbreak app icon. It will cause the screen to flash briefly but appear to do nothing. If you look at your computer, however, you’ll find the jailbreak process continues. It will finish in a minute or so, and you can close Evasi0n on your computer. Your device will need to reboot a couple of times, but when you see your lock screen the process is done. Just navigate to Cydia and enjoy your new jailbreak!
Not sure what to install first? Check out our jailbreaking tag page for some ideas.
Jailbreaking Options for Older iOS Devices
- Jailbreak for iOS 4.3.3, 5.0.1 and 5.1.1
- Jailbreak for iOS 4.3.2
- Jailbreak for iOS 4.3.1
- Jailbreak for iOS 4.2.1
- Jailbreak for Apple TV 2G
- Jailbreak for iOS 4.0, 4.0.1 and 4.1
- Jailbreak for iOS 3.1.3 and 3.1.5
- Jailbreak for iOS 3.1.2
- Jailbreak for iOS 2.2.1
- Jailbreak for iOS 1.1.4
The Cheapest NBN 50 Plans
Here are the cheapest plans available for Australia’s most popular NBN speed tier.