We busted sleep myths, went to Australia’s first NBN cafe, compared 4G speeds and rounded up the best apps for our third annual Lifehacker Packs. Kick off your Monday by checking out the 10 most popular posts from Lifehacker Australia last week.
Photo by Andrew Stawarz.
- 10 Myths About Sleep Busted Sleep is a mysterious process, and that means it’s the subject of many untruths and much ill-informed wishful thinking. If you’re trying to improve your quality or quantity of sleep, don’t fall for these myths and you’ll be well on the way.
- NBN Versus 4G Cafe Speed Challenge: We Have A Clear Winner Yesterday saw the official launch of Australia’s first ‘NBN cafe’, Hungry Birds in Brunswick, Melbourne. With free Wi-Fi on offer for patrons, there was only one thing to do: get myself there for some speed testing (and a very yummy bacon and egg ciabatta). Just how fast can an NBN connection via Wi-Fi be, and how does that compare to using the other obvious high-speed option, Telstra’s 4G mobile broadband service?
- Sleeping Like Superman: Alarming Developments “This isn’t for you. You’re not good at this,” says my wife, shouting from the other side of the apartment. She’s curled up in bed, reading a book, lazily. I’m hunched over the computer desk, jaw clenched, inches from a monitor screen. I can feel the pulsing of the brain inside my skull. “You’re not Superman,” she says. “You’re a sleepy man.”
- Lifehacker Pack For Mac: The Best Free Apps Finding excellent free software for your Mac is increasingly tough. In our fourth annual Lifehacker Pack for Mac, we’re highlighting the best free downloads for better productivity, communication, media management and more.
- Lifehacker Pack For Android: The Best Apps Even if you already have an Android phone that’s loaded with must-have apps, there are always more great options available to help you make the most of your Android device. For our third annual Lifehacker Pack for Android, we highlight apps that help you stay productive, connected, informed and entertained.
- What I Learned Through Completely Failing To Master Polyphasic Sleep I’ve never felt such relief. Laying my head on the pillow, bracing myself for a full, guiltless sleep. Bliss. My polyphasic sleep experiment had ended. I could enter back into normal society as a fully rested, fully functional human being. At that precise moment my mind was empty, scattered, exhausted. Only later, after 13 hours of sleep, did I attempt take stock and ask myself: what went wrong? What could I have done better? Was my experiment a complete and utter failure?
- Lifehacker Pack For Windows: The Best Apps Finding the right Windows app for your needs among the hoards of options can be tough. In our third annual Lifehacker Pack for Windows, we’re highlighting the must-have apps for every occasion.
- 4G Shootout: Optus Versus Telstra The Hunter region around Newcastle, just north of Sydney, is the one place in Australia right now where both Optus and Telstra offer high-speed 4G mobile broadband connections. Which carrier offers the fastest speed? Road Worrier tested both providers (and the best available option from Vodafone) to find out.
- Lifehacker Pack For iPhone: The Best Apps The iPhone’s app selection is unparalleled, but it can be frustrating to sift through thousands of options to find the best. For our third annual Lifehacker Pack for iPhone, we’re highlighting the apps that help you stay productive, connected, informed and entertained.
- Reminder: Double-Check For DNSChanger On July 9 (US time — we’re already there in Australia), the FBI will be switching off the temporary solution it set up to help people work around the DNSChanger malware. Lifehacker readers are often the go-to tech support for their friends and family, so if you want to avoid a phone call tomorrow from someone whose internet access has suddenly stopped working, it could be worth reminding them to check.