Scientists Need To Learn English

This is one I often get caught out with. I did a science degree and often find that stuff I say is misinterpreted by non-sciency people.

A paper published by Physics Today (there’s a summary chart at BoingBoing) says that scientists need to be more considerate of the words they use and take into account colloquial meanings. I’d say that many Lifehacker readers would have studied or worked in technical disciplines where words carry a different meaning.

What’s something that’s in common parlance in your profession that has a different meaning to lay-people?

Communicating the science of climate change [Physics Today via BoingBoing]

The Cheapest NBN 50 Plans

Here are the cheapest plans available for Australia’s most popular NBN speed tier.

At Lifehacker, we independently select and write about stuff we love and think you'll like too. We have affiliate and advertising partnerships, which means we may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page. BTW – prices are accurate and items in stock at the time of posting.


21 responses to “Scientists Need To Learn English”

Leave a Reply