Top Stories Developer
- Don't Be Scared Of Using Git As A General Purpose Backup Solution
- Expert Tips For Running Your Own Hackathon
- Forget Development Projects, Think About Products
- How Electronic Engineers Can Help Us Understand The Brain
- The Top Programming Languages, Ranked By Popularity
- A Developer's Guide To Building Your First App
For the less diligent, the wisdom of making regular backups only coalesces once you lose important data in spectacular, unrecoverable fashion. There are a bunch of software options for duplicating and safe-guarding your important information, but what mechanism is best? Usually the domain of software developers, source control software, such as SVN and Git, is well-suited for regular documents and even binaries. So why aren’t you using it?
This weekend, PayPal and Braintree will be hosting a 24-hour hackathon in Sydney as part of their global “BattleHack” competition. Over the two-day event, entrants will be tasked with building a mobile app that solves a local problem of their choice. The winner will then be flown to the finals in Silicon Valley for a shot at the $100,000 grand prize. Here are some organisational tips from the event’s global director John Lunn.
We’ve talked about why things always take longer than we plan before. Emily Guy Birken at Wise Bread suggests a way to avoid underestimating how long something will take you.