Nell Scovell is a comedy writer and the author of Just the Funny Parts: And a Few Hard Truths About Sneaking Into the Hollywood Boy’s Club. Nell’s written for The Simpsons, Newhart, The Late Show with David Letterman, and a ton of other shows. We talk to Nell about how she excels as a woman in a field that’s so male-dominated.
Photo: Tracy Thomas
Listen to The Upgrade above or find us in all the usual places where podcasts are served, including Apple Podcasts, Google Play, Spotify, iHeartRadio, Stitcher and NPR One. Please subscribe, rate and review!
Discussed in This Episode
- Moving from journalism to comedy writing
- How women use Twitter comedy to get a foot in the door
- How an episode of The Simpsons gets made
- The overlap between sci-fi/fantasy and comedy
- Fighting sexual harassment in TV
Our Upgrades of the Week
Every week we like to let you in on the upgrades we’ve made in our own lives. This week we talked about nostalgic Santa Cruz soundtracks, building a door in the middle of the air, and the American counterpart to The Great British Bake Off.