Brief news items of note for Lifehacker readers, including: PlayStation 4 gets a new-look menu, 13 movies that went disastrously over budget, watch Stranger Things and the movies that inspired it side by side.
- The Olympic pole vaulters are getting soaked because Rio staff forgot to cover the mat during a downpour. Business Insider has the story.
- Nvidia’s new GeForce laptop GPUs are just as powerful as a desktop PC. Gizmodo looks at the numbers.
- Sony is finally updating the menus on the PlayStation 4. Head to Kotaku for a sneak peak.
- It’s obvious from the outset that Netflix’s Stranger Things is heavily inspired by the films of the late 70s and early 80s. But unless you have a photographic memory for film sequences it isn’t really clear just how much was borrowed from films such as Alien, The Goonies, E.T and even A Nightmare On Elm St. Until you see the shots side by side, that is — which is exactly what this video does.
- When you look at history, there are a lot of sad cautionary tales about films that spent way too much. Here are 13 movies that went disastrously over budget.