It may sound like the last thing you want to do, but The Art of Manliness explains why you should grab your shower cap, bite your lip, and jump into an ice-cold shower.
People have been subjecting their bodies to extremely cold water for thousands of years, but is it really worth the torture? Among some of the possible upsides such as helping with depression, increasing testosterone in men, and developing emotional resiliency, there are several more benefits to be had:
- Improve circulation: Your heart has to get pumping to try and warm you up, and that helps increase cardiovascular health.
- Improve sleep: Taking a cold shower one hour before bed may help your body trigger sleep signals and give you a deeper sleep.
- Keep skin and hair healthy: Cold water can add shine to your hair and close up your pores.
- Speed up workout recovery: Cold exposure decreases inflammation and helps remove toxins like lactic acid because blood flow increases as your body warms up. The same reason athletes take ice baths.
- Give an energy boost: Cold water will give your body a jolt of energy like nothing else. If you don't believe it, give it a try.
I personally think hot showers are one of the best things in the whole wide world, but I'm certainly considering adding cold showers into my regiment. If you have what it takes to brave the cold, hop in and reap the benefits.
The Benefits of Cold Showers [The Art of Manliness]