Tagged With 457 visa


Dear Lifehacker, I've been in a long-term relationship with a UK national for two years. She wants to come to Australia on a one-year work visa so we can spend time together before I move to the UK. However, she gets a bit confused by our government sites. What would be the best visa for her to take as far as working goes? She's a hospitality worker and doesn't earn much so I am willing to pay for it all - just wondering what the costs will be?


In a stunning act of political courage, Prime Minister Turnbull chose Facebook to tell us that we are “the most successful multicultural nation in the world”. He then abolished the 457 Visa scheme, which allowed for skilled workers to come to Australia. Saying that “Australian workers must have priority for Australian jobs” is a great grab for the TV news and radio commentators to latch onto. But does this change address the real issue - a long-term under-investment that technology skills?