Windows: If you have a customised-to-the-nines Kodi media centre, then KodiLauncher (formerly XBMCLauncher) might be your new best friend. It stops other programs from stealing focus and lets you customise Kodi's shutdown menu.
KodiLauncher is not a particularly exciting app, nor is it one that everyone will need. But after a recent change to my media centre, I found that every time I rebooted — or even woke from sleep — Kodi would automatically minimise. KodiLauncher fixes those focus issues, and a host of others, with little system tweaks. It can:
- Start Kodi when Windows starts
- Restart Kodi when Windows wakes up from sleep
- Ensure that Kodi retains focus, even if other apps are trying to get it (though you can set exceptions for certain applications, like external players)
- Start certain programs whenever Kodi starts
- Set Kodi to run as a shell, without loading the Windows desktop in the background
- Tweak Kodi's Shutdown menu to shut down, sleep or hibernate
- Tweak your MCE remote to start Kodi with the big green button
Like I said: it isn't exactly sexy, but when you're dealing with a couple of different programs running in the background — for one reason or another — KodiLauncher is a godsend. It has been around for a while, but we never featured it before because we'd never needed it, until now. Check it out at the link below.
(Note: Because KodiLauncher is written in AutoHotkey, many antivirus programs will try to block its installation or quarantine its settings program. The program is completely safe, and you'll just need to set an exception for it.)