We’re prepping for a major year of sport in 2022, friends. Between the recent Super Bowl and the fast-approaching 2022 World Cup, there’s a lot to feel excited about – and the NBA All-Star Game is here to add to that list.
If you’re a basketball fan who’s keen to keep on top of all the latest on this major sporting event, keep reading. Here’s your rundown on everything to know about the 2022 NBA All-Star Game.
Table of Contents
What is the NBA All-Star game?
It’s all in the title but basically, the All-Star NBA game for 2022 brings together a bunch of top players from the National Basketball Association. Votes from fans, players and the media determine the teams every year.
There are a bunch of things to look forward to including the pre-game show with the skills challenge and 3-point contest. Then, during the actual basketball game, the dunk contest will take place as the half-time show.
Who is playing?
In 2021, Brooklyn Nets star Kevin Durant and LeBron James of the Los Angeles Lakers stood in as team captains for the NBA All-Star Game.
The East pool players included Giannis Antetokounmpo, Bradley Beal, Joel Embiid and Kyrie Irving as starters and Jaylen Brown, James Harden, Zach Lavine, Julius Randle, Ben Simmons, Jayson Tatum and Nikola Vucevic as reserves.
The Western Conference team included Stephen Curry, Luka Doncic, Nikola Jokic and Kawhi Leonard as starters and Anthony Davis, Paul George, Rudy Gobert, Damian Lillard, Donovan Mitchell, Chris Paul and Zion Williamson as reserves.
This year’s lineup for the NBA All Stars game was announced on January 28, 2022, and we can see some familiar names on the list. Since then, we’ve also had the list of reserves announced, too.
Check out all the players below.
Eastern pool starters:
- Kevin Durant (Brooklyn Nets) [captain]
- Giannis Antetokounmpo (Milwaukee Bucks)
- Joel Embiid (Philadelphia 76ers)
- Trae Young (Atlanta Hawks)
- DeMar DeRozan (Chicago Bulls)
Eastern pool reserves:
- Jimmy Butler (Miami Heat)
- Darius Garland (Cleveland Cavaliers)
- James Harden (Brooklyn Nets)
- Zach LaVine (Chicago Bulls)
- Khris Middleton (Milwaukee Bucks)
- Jayson Tatum (Boston Celtics)
- Fred VanVleet (Toronto Raptors)
Western pool starters:
- LeBron James (Los Angeles Lakers) [captain]
- Nikola Jokic (Denver Nuggets)
- Andrew Wiggins (Golden State Warriors)
- Stephen Curry (Golden State Warriors)
- Ja Morant (Memphis Grizzlies)
Western pool reserves:
- Devin Booker (Phoenix Suns)
- Luka Doncic (Dallas Mavericks)
- Rudy Gobert (Utah Jazz)
- Draymond Green (Golden State Warriors)
- Donovan Mitchell (Utah Jazz)
- Chris Paul (Phoenix Suns)
- Karl-Anthony Towns (Minnesota Timberwolves)
You can read more about the roster of players for the NBA All Stars game here.
How about the NBA Rising Stars?
The Clorox Rising Stars event has also been announced for the year. In 2022, we’ll see three games between four teams of rookies, sophomores and players from NBA G League Ignite.
The teams have been named as follows.
Clorox NBA Rising Stars Rosters:
- Cade Cunningham, Detroit Pistons
- Dyson Daniels, G League Ignite
- Evan Mobley, Cleveland Cavaliers
- Isaac Okoro, Cleveland Cavaliers
- Alperen Sengun, Houston Rockets
- Jae’Sean Tate, Houston Rockets
- Franz Wagner, Orlando Magic
- Precious Achiuwa, Toronto Raptors
- Desmond Bane, Memphis Grizzlies
- Saddiq Bey, Detroit Pistons
- Anthony Edwards, Minnesota Timberwolves
- Tyrese Haliburton, Sacramento Kings
- Jaden Hardy, G League Ignite
- Isaiah Stewart, Detroit Pistons
- LaMelo Ball, Charlotte Hornets
- Scottie Barnes, Toronto Raptors
- Ayo Dosunmu, Chicago Bulls
- Chris Duarte, Indiana Pacers
- Scoot Henderson, G League Ignite
- Jaden McDaniels, Minnesota Timberwolves
- Davion Mitchell, Sacramento Kings
- Cole Anthony, Orlando Magic
- MarJon Beauchamp, G League Ignite
- Josh Giddey, Oklahoma City Thunder
- Jalen Green, Houston Rockets
- Herbert Jones, New Orleans Pelicans
- Tyrese Maxey, Philadelphia 76ers
- Jalen Suggs, Orlando Magic
Read more about the NBA Rising Stars event and how it works here.
When is the 2022 NBA All-Star game?
The game is slated for Sunday, February 20 at 8:00 pm ET. This translates to 12:00 pm AEDT on Monday, February 21, 2022.
The game is being held in Cleveland this year.
The NBA Rising Stars event was held on February 18, at 9:00 pm E.T (February 19 at 1:00 pm AEDT).
Where can I watch it in Australia?
American sports are sometimes hard to view in Australia, but the good news is that Aussies can watch all the action from this historic All-Stars game.
Sports streaming service Kayo has streamed the NBA All-Star Game event in previous years, and we can expect the same for 2022. You can sign up for a Kayo subscription for just $25 a month if you’d like to catch all the NBA action live and on-demand, along with access to motorsports, cricket and more.
Enjoy the game!
This article has been updated to reflect the details of the 2022 NBA All Star Game.