Having a dog impacts many different aspects of your life — from your travel plans, to your household expenses, to the amount of fur on your clothing. But one of the biggest things that changes after getting a dog (some types more than others) is your home.
Whether they’re shoe-chewers, food-snatchers, or super-shedders, dogs can do a number on your place. This is especially true when it comes to floors. As it turns out, some flooring is more dog-friendly than others. Here are a few to consider.
Best types of flooring for dogs
Of course, every dog is different, and your perfect pooch may not be problematic at all. Or maybe you have a strong preference for a particular type of flooring that’s not the most dog-friendly, but are willing to put in the time and effort to maintain it. That’s great. For everyone else, here are some options:
- Waterproof vinyl flooring: Accident-proof, durable, stain-resistant, cost-effective, soft underfoot
- Tile: Scratch-resistant, easy-to-clean (with larger grout lines), water-resistant, good for your home’s resale value [caveat: some tile may be too slippery for older dogs]
- Waterproof laminate flooring: Scratch-resistant, easy-to-clean, durable, cost-effective
Worst types of flooring for dogs
It’s one thing if you already have these types of flooring in your home prior to getting a dog. But if you have a dog and are redoing your floors, you may want to avoid these varieties of flooring:
- Hardwood: Water (and other liquids) can cause damage, scratches easily, requires more maintenance/upkeep
- Carpet: Doesn’t handle accidents (solids or liquids) well, harder to clean, more likely to trap fur/dander/fleas, prone to permanent stains
- Marble: Prone to stains and scratches, porous and soft stone, standing water (and other liquids) could be damaging
Another way to get the scoop on the best flooring for your dog is to ask other people with dogs — ideally, with dogs similar or the same type as yours — about their experiences with flooring. Chances are, they’ll have some good insight and advice.
The Cheapest NBN 50 Plans
Here are the cheapest plans available for Australia’s most popular NBN speed tier.