Well, well, well…it’s crunch time. You searched “last minute,” “low effort,” and “the laziest possible” Halloween costume ideas, and now you’re here.
Look, I get it. You don’t have the time, energy, or willpower to execute a “good” Halloween costume. But who gets to decide what “good” even means, right? Isn’t simplicity a good thing? What about wordplay? Is it not good to save your hard-earned money with a Halloween costume that is so bad, it’s good?
When you only have a few minutes to pull something together, here are 20 Halloween “costumes” that are so lazy they just might be brilliant. Disclaimer: We can’t be held responsible for all the eye rolls these might earn you.
The best, laziest Halloween costumes
- Chip on your shoulder: Place a potato chip on your shoulder. This one works best with salt and vinegar chips, because salt and vinegar is the superior flavour of all chips.
- Undercover ______: The key to being undercover is blending in. You could be a health inspector, a detective, or a poet.
- Identity thief: Wear a name tag with someone else’s name.
- Spice girl: Carry around some cinnamon. Or paprika. Or, if you’re feeling really fancy, a spice blend.
- Pig in a blanket: Identify yourself as a pig and wrap yourself in a blanket.
- “When life gives you lemons:” Wear a sign that says “life” and hand out lemons.
- Blessing in disguise: The rule of thumb with all of these ideas is that a good disguise can take any form. To put in a little effort, wear a sign that says “blessing” and then wear a fake mustache.
- A procrastinator: Done!
- A werewolf. Hey, there isn’t a full moon this Halloween.
- Any of Jim’s costumes from The Office.
- Damian from Mean Girls: Tug that sweatshirt hood over your head and practice saying “She doesn’t even go here.”
- A cool tourist: Wear your sneakers, take some pictures, and act like a local.
- A thief: Oh, do you think a thief has to have a certain “look?” Open your eyes. If you really want to commit, snag some of your kid’s candy for show.
- Post-therapy session: Wet your eyes and carry around a box of tissues. If you’re really committed, you could actually cry before your party.
- An Olympic athlete…who has let themselves go.
- An international pop star determined to remember what it’s like to be normal again, you know?
- A superhero’s alter-ego who is actually dedicated to keeping their identity a secret for once.
- A puppet who has been given a chance to be a real, normal human being and is not going to risk messing it up for anything.
- Jolene, from the song, “Jolene:” If you don’t have red hair, you can say that you’re hiding from a vengeful Dolly Parton.
- And from my editor, Joel Cunningham: “Tape crepe paper streamers to each arm and go as the squid from Squid Game (I haven’t seen it).” I’ll call this costume, “out of touch.”