This week, a MasterChef Australia favourite, Depinder Chhibber, was sent packing after stepping out of her comfort zone and producing a Tomato Salad with Tomato Gazpacho and a Warrigal Greens Damper.
On departing the kitchen, the well-loved cook told Channel 10 that she is proud of the dish she produced, despite it being the one that ended her MasterChef journey.
“I’m not going to say that I am embarrassed with what I put up because I was in an uncharted territory. I was really happy with the dish, the way it presented and held together with different textures and flavours. I did use quite a few Indigenous ingredients and I just wanted to make a delicious plate of food for the judges,” Chhibber said.
Now, while Chhibber’s MasterChef experience may be through, that doesn’t mean you have to stop enjoying her cooking.
Her parting gift to MasterChef fans reading along with Lifehacker Australia is a quick and simple recipe for Spiced Potato Toasties. You’ll find that baby listed out for you below.
How to make Depinder Chhibber’s Spiced Potato Toasties
What you’ll need:
- 2-3 Boiled Potatoes
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 fresh green chilli chopped
- ½ chopped onion
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp chilli powder or paprika
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- A squeeze of lemon
- Salt to taste
- Butter (preferably at room temp)
- Your choice of cheese, I prefer a mixture of cheddar and gruyere for this recipe
- Hot sauce or a herb chutney
- 1 cup Coriander leaves or Mint leaves or both
- 2 tbsp yoghurt
- 5 cm piece ginger
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp sugar
- Salt to taste
- Mash the potatoes together and add all the ingredients to form a smooth potato mixture.
- In a food processor or a blender, blend all the ingredients for the green chutney.
- For the Toasties, preheat a sandwich press or frypan over medium heat.
Spread the bread with butter and hot sauce or chutney on both sides (you could use both the hot sauce and the chutney). Start layering the bread with some hot sauce or chutney, potato mixture (be generous) and cheese. Toast this until golden brown and enjoy. Sprinkle some salt flakes and cumin powder on top and serve hot.