This article has been sponsored by Patrón.
Margaritas are the perfect cocktail. That might be a bold call, but it’s also one we stand by wholeheartedly. Simply put, there’s a margarita for all seasons, whether you’re sipping a watermelon cocktail on a sunlounger in summer, a pineapple margarita when you’re desperate for a holiday, or a spicy marg when you’re just trying to warm up in winter.
Another tick in margarita’s pros column? They’re super easy to make at home, and all you really need is some premium tequila, ice, fresh fruit to flavour it, and something to shake it all up in. Our current pick for which tequila to stock your bar trolley with is a classic: Patrón.
We’ll confidently assume that everyone’s familiar with Patrón. Made the authentic way, every bottle is handmade in small batches at Hacienda Patrón, in Jalisco, Mexico, and has no additives. Ahead, we’re sharing three of our favourite recipe that spice up the classic margarita.
Watermelon Basil Margarita
This watermelon basil margarita is a refreshing, summery twist on the classic margarita. While it still uses fresh lime juice and agave nectar, it also utilises the oaky flavours of Patrón Reposado, which has fresh notes of floral and vanilla.
- 45ml Patrón Reposado tequila
- 30ml fresh watermelon juice or puree
- 30ml fresh lime juice
- 30ml agave nectar
- 3 basil leaves or basil simple syrup
- Watermelon wedge or dehydrated lime wheel for garnish
How to make it:
- Combine ingredients in a cocktail shaker and shake with ice to chill.
- Strain onto fresh ice in a double old fashioned glass.
- Garnish with a basil leaf and wedge of watermelon or dehydrated lime wheel.
The spicy margarita is as classic as the original version of the cocktail and can be made in almost any flavour you like. Our favourites are fresh blood orange, mango or beetroot puree. This recipe uses Patrón Silver infused with jalapeño which you can easily make yourself, at home, and it ensures a kick of spice in every sip.
- 45ml Patrón Silver tequila infused with jalapeño
- 2 jalapenos
- 15ml flavour puree (blood orange, mango or fresh beet)
- 90ml lime juice
- Lime wedge and sliced jalapeño for garnish
How to make it:
- To make the jalapeño-infused tequila, add 2 whole jalapeños cut down the middle and deseeded into 1 bottle of Patrón Silver tequila. Leave to infuse for 12 hours.
- Combine all ingredients over ice in a shaker.
- Shake and strain into a salt-rimmed double old fashioned glass.
The combination of lime and pineapple makes this margarita a holiday in a glass, and the addition of the sweet, top-shelf tequila liqueur, Patrón Citrónge Pineapple steps up the sweetness. Plus, the added kick from the Tajin chilli and lime seasoning rim amps up the flavour in a big way.
- 60ml Patrón Silver tequila
- 25ml De Kuyper triple sec
- 20ml lime juice
- 3 x inch cubes of fresh pineapple
How to make it:
- Muddle pineapple in bottom of cocktail shaker.
- Add all other ingredients with ice.
- Shake hard and double strain into a chilled coupette.
- Garnish with a wedge of pineapple