Comment threads are theare some of the worst, especially on posts from popular accounts. To help create a more positive vibe, Instagram is now letting you pin up to three comments at the top of your posts — pick some good ones, we beg of you.
Pinned comments can be your own, or from other followers/commenters. Once a comment is pinned, it will live at the top of the comments thread regardless of when it was posted. It’ll be the featured comment that users see when scrolling through their feed, and the first comment they’ll see when they open the thread.
While Instagram is pushing this as a way to curate the conversation, the pinned comments can also be used to add follow-up information to a post. For example, you could post and pin an update to announce the winner of a giveaway (provided you do that sort of thing on Instagram).
The feature is rolling out now for iOS and Android users. I also checked to see if it was available in the desktop browser version but didn’t see it yet; it’s likely it won’t show up since many of Instagram’s mobile features don’t make it over to the desktop website — at least, not for some time.
To pin Instagram comments:
- Open the Instagram app and go to one of your posts.
- Scroll through the comments until you find one you want to feature at the top.
- Swipe left on the comment then tap the thumbtack icon.
- Instagram will give you a brief run-down of how pinned comments work and ask if you want to pin the comment. Tap “Pin Comment.”
- The comment will now be at the top of the thread. You can repeat this for up to three pinned comments.
If you want to unpin a comment, simply swipe again, tap the thumbtack icon, and remove it. This doesn’t delete or hide the comment from elsewhere in the thread, however.
We can’t say whether pinned comments will actually reduce toxicity, but it can at least keep arguments and trolls a little more buried.
The Cheapest NBN 50 Plans
Here are the cheapest plans available for Australia’s most popular NBN speed tier.