This week I'd like to talk to you about cans and jars, and all the tasty things that come inside them.
People can be, for lack of a better word, kind of dickish about food that comes from a can. They needn't be however, as there are many delicious - and downright fancy - treats that come canned or jarred (ya know, caviar), and I want to hear your favourites. Some questions to get you goin':
- What's your favourite canned bean? I enjoy a canned refried bean, as well as baked beans, pinto beans, and black beans. I'll eat most canned beans, actually, though I do like to simmer them in a little olive oil to give 'em a little boost.
- What canned or jarred items are always in your pantry? I always have a few jars of capers and olives on hand, and I like to keep canned coconut cream and milk around for sauces. Sweetened condensed milk is also very important to me.
- How do you feel about SPAM? I love that salty meat - especially on masubi — and I don't care who knows it.
- What brand of canned tomatoes do you swear by? I like Red Pack Whole Peeled Plum Tomatoes, but my New Englander of a partner insists on using San Marzano tomatoes for sauce.
- What's the fanciest thing you've ever bought in a can? I bought some snails once. Those were fancy. What I really want to try though is this olive oil- packed tuna.
- Have you tried canned cheese? You may have seen one of these oddities in the international section of your supermarket. I've heard good things about Cougar Gold, but am unsure which flavour to start with.
- What's your favourite canned fish? I know I'm supposed wax poetic about sardines, but I really like canned salmon croquettes. Now you know.
- Is there a particular canned fruit you enjoy? I love canned peaches and I always will.
- Are there any vegetables you prefer from a can? I wouldn't say I prefer it, but I have a soft spot for canned corn kernels.
- How do you feel about canned soups and chilli? It's hard to go wrong with tomato- and chilli-based options - especially if you cook on a stove top with added ingredients.
- Have you heard the good news about canned wine? I love a can of Underwood Pinot Noir.
Feel free to flood the comments with any and all canned delicacies that don't fall into the above categories, and hit me up if you're ever in America and want to go this canned fish restaurant.