You wouldn’t think we’d need the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to tell us not to drink bleach, but here’s the world we live in: if you try to look up alternative treatments for cancer or autism, sooner or later you’ll likely hear about a “Miracle Mineral Solution.”
This solution is made with sodium chlorite, and instructions will tell you to mix it with citric acid or with juice. That reaction creates a bleaching chemical called chlorine dioxide. (MMS proponents will tell you it’s not technically bleach, but we’ll let the FDA have the last word here: one section of the recent warning is titled “MMS consumers are drinking bleach.” Here’s what they have to say about its alleged therapeutic properties:
Some distributors are making false — and dangerous — claims that Miracle Mineral Supplement mixed with citric acid is an antimicrobial, antiviral, and antibacterial liquid that is a remedy for autism, cancer, HIV/AIDS, hepatitis, flu, and other conditions. But the FDA is not aware of any research showing that these products are safe or effective for treating any illness. Using these products may cause you to delay other treatments that have been shown to be safe and effective.
The bottom line: Sodium chlorite products are dangerous, and you and your family should not use them.
Unfortunately, rave reviews of the solution turn up in Facebook groups for parents of autistic children (even though autism is neither a disease nor a thing that has a “cure”).
MMS is also claimed as a “sacrament” by a group that calls itself a “church of health and healing.” So be aware if someone tells you about a beverage or enema with surprising powers. If it’s known by a name like MMS, “chlorine dioxide protocol,” or “water purification solution,” it may be bleach. Do not drink it.