For our first Livehacker event, we hosted an evening with therapist, author and podcast host Esther Perel; divorce lawyer James J. Sexton; and multi-talented performer Donald Shorter, Jr. We had posed this question to our guests: “How should a man be?” Their exploration of this topic was as entertaining as it was illuminating.
Esther Perel and Victor Jeffreys II. Photo: Alice Bradley (Lifehacker)
Listen to The Upgrade above or find us in all the usual places where podcasts are served, including Apple Podcasts, Google Play, Spotify, iHeartRadio, Stitcher and NPR One. Please subscribe, rate and review!
Discussed in This Episode
- How men behave in conflict
- Why men have a harder time discussing heartbreak and disappointment than they do anger
- Why angry, hurt men are a public health concern
- What Donald Shorter learned the first time s/he stepped outside in drag
- How the question “How should a man be?” becomes “How should I be?”
- Why it’s time for men to rethink their identity as a group
- The Incel community and its roots in humiliation
- Why gender identity for men is more fragile than it is for women
- The potential for transformation in men
- How Esther raised her boys
Plus, a Q&A with the audience.