Ask LH: Do I Need A Licence To Sell Homegrown Food?

Dear Lifehacker, I’ve been tossing up the idea of selling the homegrown vegetable and fruit produce from my garden. I was thinking about local farmers’ markets and cafe’s. I was wondering what regulations and permits I would need to be aware of. Could you help me? Thanks, Sarah

Dear Sarah,

Any person who sells edible goods is deemed to be a ‘food business’ and must comply with their state or territory Food Act. The Food Acts cover everything from safe and suitable foods to correct handling procedures. Failing to comply can result in stiff fines.

The following websites provide a comprehensive overview of the rules in each state and territory:

Under the Food Act 2008, any business that sells food is required to be registered as a food business with their local government authority in which the place of manufacture or business is based. In other words, you will need approval from your council.

The first step is to apply for a business licence. Regulations and pricing can vary depending on where you live, but it’s generally not too expensive. As long as you’re not dealing with high-risk foods, gaining approval from your local council should be a painless procedure.

The laws surrounding the sale of homegrown produce vary depending on the state you’re in and what you’re selling. By and large, it is perfectly legal to sell fruit and vegetables in Australia provided the produce has simply been washed and refrigerated prior to selling. You can also display whole raw fruits and vegetables unpackaged, provided they are intended to be hulled, peeled or washed by the consumer.

However, if your food business involves frequent washing of fruit and vegetables, you are expected to have a dedicated sink to avoid cross-contamination with other foods. Furthermore, if you slice, cook, freeze of mix the produce you’re selling, it is considered “processed” and you will need a council approved commercial kitchen.

There are additional rules surrounding ready-to-eat produce (i.e. — food that is ordinarily consumed in the same state as that in which it is sold such as de-shelled nuts.) For example, you cannot transport them in cardboard or wood containers as these cannot be cleaned and sanitised like plastic.

You can find plenty of additional information over at Safe Food Australia. This in-depth guide to selling your produce at food markets is also worth a look.


Have a question you want to put to Ask Lifehacker? Send it using our [contact text=”contact form”].

The Cheapest NBN 50 Plans

Here are the cheapest plans available for Australia’s most popular NBN speed tier.

At Lifehacker, we independently select and write about stuff we love and think you'll like too. We have affiliate and advertising partnerships, which means we may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page. BTW – prices are accurate and items in stock at the time of posting.


Leave a Reply