Look, I have some harsh news for y'all. We suck at security. We choose terrible passwords, fail to put pin codes on our phones, and don't even think about encryption when using public Wi-Fi.
But that's all going to change, right? We're all going to get better at this stuff, yeah? If you need a hand getting started, and owe your allegiance to the cult of iOS, here's 10 apps that might help.
NordVPN have sent our way its top apps for the year to keep your iPhone (and the data it contains) as safe as can be.
- Signal is an encrypted messaging and voice calling app that provides end-to-end encryption to secure all communications. The app can also verify the identity of people you are messaging and the integrity of the channel you are using. When texting non-Signal users, you can to invite them to an encrypted conversation via Signal.
- Tor Messenger is an encrypted messenger created by the makers of Tor, which you may know as the world's most popular encrypted Internet browser. Tor Messenger is a cross-platform chat app that is secure by default and sends all messages over Tor Network. The app supports a good number of transport networks, like IRC, Google Talk, Facebook Chat and Yahoo. It also allows for Off-The-Record (OTR) messaging - a safe and encrypted way to have private conversations - over Tor's network.
- NordVPN (Virtual Private Network provider) has an encryption app, of course. A VPN encrypts the data travelling from your device across the Internet and is the best security mechanism to ensure the Internet traffic remains confidential. The app re-routes and encrypts all Internet traffic making the connection private and secured while using top of the line security protocol IKEv2/IPsec.
- Norton Identity Safe gives you freedom from remembering passwords: it saves all usernames and passwords on iPhone and iPad and syncs them across devices. Secure passwords can be created within the app. The app also allows for faster checkout and fills in forms with your bank information.
- ProtonMail is Gmail-like email provider, offering an automatic end-to-end encryption. No personal information is required to create a secure email account.
- Keeply is a spy-level app for an average user. It stores your private moments and data - pins, credit cards, notes, photos and videos - right on the phone. Keeply provides a Fake Pin feature, which is an alternative password that you can give to your nosy friends or family - when they enter it, the app shows an empty application. Face-down Lock, on the other hand, causes Keeply to close immediately when it's placed face down. It can also take a photo of anyone who enters a wrong PIN code into the phone. Best of all: nothing ever leaves the phone.
- Secret Calculator is another app for storing your private photos, videos, notes, contacts and other sensitive data behind an innocent-looking calculator app.
- Find My Phone is a must-have app and service by Apple that allows remote tracking of iOS devices.
- Kryptos app is a fully encrypted voice communications app that provides encrypted VoIP connectivity for calls over 3G, 4G and WiFi. While Kryptos is not a replacement for mobile phone service, its function is to provide privacy for the calls.
- Best Phone Security Pro is an app that will ring an alarm as soon as someone unauthorised touches the device. You can choose the lock option: Touch ID, pattern lock or passcode lock. You can even record your own alarm sound.
What security apps have you installed? How are they working for you?