Huawei’s Watch 2, the first 4G SIM-enabled model available in the Australian market, is available from today. Here are all the details on what it can do, where you can get one, and how much it will set you back.
Standalone connectivity means you’ll be able to step away from your phone for a run or a hike and still have access to near full functionality of the Smart Watch. The SIM and built-in GPS chip mean you can still call and text as well as use apps like Uber and Facebook messenger without Bluetooth.
There’s dual-mic noise cancellation, an antennae on the upper watch case to help out with 4G, GPS, Wi-fi, Bluetooth and NFC connectivity, and all the usual smart watch features.
The watch has a bunch of sensors and algorithms with a health and fitness focus. We’re talking distance travelled, speed, steps, heart rate, calories, and gait used for exercise programs and workout plans.
There is real time guidance and notifications, heart rate detection and an automatically generated report to advise on recovery time and training effects. Your favourite exercise routes are tracked, and you can and add music to your workout regime – playing from a local music library or cached tracks on third party apps.
A high-definition display is customisable with multiple watch face designs, while Corning Gorilla Glass and IP68 Water and Dust Resistance are standard. In Huawei Lab Testing, the 420mAH battery delivered around 2 days of “typical usage”, around 10 hours of “Training Mode” (with the GPS and real-time hear rate monitoring on throughout) and around 3 weeks in “Watch Mode” (power saving mode that maintains basic functions – time keeping and pedometer).
Running on Android Wear 2.0, you’ll also get Google Assistant and voice commands, Android Pay, and it is compatible for iPhone users, too.
- Available Colours: Carbon Black
- Display: 1.2-inch AMOLED 390 x 390, 326dpi, Corning Gorilla Glass
- Size: 48.9 x 45 x 12.6mm
- Weight (Without Band): 42g
- Lug Width: 20mm
- Wake-up Modes: Raise, lift or turn wriest to wake up; semi wake-up mode
- Storage: 4GB ROM (Apprix 2.3GB for user storage); 768MB RAM
- Processor: Qualcomm MSM8909W, 1.1 GHZ
- Connectivity: Bluetooth BT4.1 BLE+BR/EDR, Wi-Fi 2.4GHz 802.11 b/g/n, Cellular GSM/WCDMA/TDS/CDMA2000/TDD-LTE/FDD-LTE
- Sensors: Accelerometer, Gyroscope, Barometer, Heart Rate Sensor (PPG), CAP Capacitance Sensor, ALS/Ambient Light Sensor, Geomagnetic Sensor
- Battery: 420mAh
- Water & Dust Resistance: IP68
- OS: Android Wear 2.0
- Device Compatibility: Android 4.3, iOS 8.2
- Standalone Connect: Support SIM card
- Charger: Magnetic suction base charge
- GPS: Build-in independent GPS + Glonass
Price and availability
You can pick up the Huawei Watch 2 from today (August 16) at Vodafone for $599.