You could buy the most expensive and nicest looking dress shirt at the store, but if it doesn’t fit right it just looks wrong. This video shows you how to buy dress shirts that look great on you every time.
The perfect fit, of course, is neither too tight nor too loose, and the shirt ideally tapers from the chest down to follow your body shape. The video points out the more specific features to note when trying on dress shirts at the store, such as:
- Collar: The collar helps frame the face, so you need one that doesn’t look like it’s choking you. A collar that’s too loose means you can fit four fingers or so in the space between your neck and shirt collar.
- Shoulder width: If the shoulder point is too high, shirt is too tight. If the shoulder point hangs too low, the shirt’s too large.
- Torso: If buttons are about to pop out, you (and everyone else) will notice that your shirt is probably a tad tight. If the sides of the shirt stick out after you’ve tucked it in your pants, you might want to try a size down or just another brand for a better fit.
- Sleeve fit: A good sleeve fit doesn’t restrict movement in your arms and has 2.5 to 5cm of loose fabric.
- Shirt cuff: A proper-fitting shirt cuff doesn’t let you take your hand out without you first needing to unbutton it. This changes if you wear a watch.
For more details, check out the video. And to care for your shirt, here’s our article on how to iron it.
Look AWESOME in a Dress Shirt Buy Perfect Fitting Shirts Every Time [Real Men Real Style]