If you have a hard time exercising consistently, maybe you need to reframe your ideals around working out. One sub-par workout, for instance, is better than skipping workouts altogether. Try Nate Green’s 3 x 30 workout routine. It’s just 30 minutes of your day.
Image by Tony Alter.
The 3 x 30 routine stands for:
- 30 seconds of exercise
- 30 seconds of stretching or rest
- 30 minutes total, preferably in the morning so you get it done
Whether you’re trying to groove a workout habit or you’re a former fitness warrior who’s been waylaid by life, Green, an online fitness coach and author, shares this customisable bodyweight routine that you can do at home and without equipment. Here’s how you put it together:
- Get a timer, like this one.
- Write down five exercises that complement one another and a couple of stretches. (You can check our guide to building a bodyweight workout here. You can also use this resource.) An example would be combining push-ups and rows.
- Pick an exercise and do it with good form for 30 seconds.
- When the timer goes off, switch to a stretch, which Green suggests has a meditative effect.
- Switch between an exercise and stretch every 30 seconds for the whole 30 minutes.
Here are the example exercises that Green does:
- Neutral-grip chin-up
- Towel hip extension leg curl
- Forward and backward crawl
- Side lunge
And these are the stretches:
- Couch hip flexor stretch
- Couch piriformis stretch
- Hanging lat stretch
30 SECONDS ON, 30 SECONDS OFF
(On) Neutral grip chin-up
(Off) Couch hip flexor stretch, left side
(On) Towel hip extension leg curl
(Off) Couch hip flexor stretch, right side
(On) Forward and backward crawl
(Off) Couch piriformis stretch, left side
(On) Side lunge
(Off) Couch piriformis stretch, right side
(Off) Hanging lat stretch
This workout routine is a bit more advanced than previous ones we’ve posted, like this one and this one, because you need to know how to string together exercises that make sense. But that’s also the allure. You can keep swapping in different exercises and stretches and do it indefinitely without getting bored.