Building the ideal online dating profile is difficult and can be pretty stressful. If you're having a hard time gaining traction with your profile, these five tips will help lead you in the right direction.
In this video from the Consumer Reports YouTube channel, professional online dating coach Laurie Davis Edwards at eFlirt shares her top tips for the perfect online dating profile. Here's what she recommends.
- Change your profile weekly: Regular updates to your profile optimises your page in the dating site's search engine. Something as small as deleting an old photo and adding a new one can help.
- Use the five to seven photo rule: Your profile should have at least five photos, but no more than seven. At least two should be decent shots of your head and shoulders. Add at least one full body shot. And sprinkle in photos of activities for the rest.
- Be specific about what you're looking for: Your profile isn't just about you and what you do. You should also tell potential matches what you're after so nobody ends up wasting their time.
- Don't lie: Authenticity is key. Be the best version of yourself, and don't stray from your values. Lying might land you a date, but it won't do much for you in the long run.
- Maximise your messages: Browsing and "liking" profiles won't get you very far. You have to take the plunge and send out plenty of messages. Edwards suggests women send out at least 10 messages a week, and men should shoot for 15.
With a little effort and persistence, you'll have plenty of dates lined up in no time.