So you've decided to start a business and you have a great idea for it. Awesome! Now the hard part is trying to pick a name for it. The name is one of the first things potential customers will interact with and could make or break a business. Here are a few things to avoid when picking a name for your small business.
Image from Flickr
Over at Forbes, owner of Worstofall Design Pia Silva shared some advice on how to pick a name for would-be small business owners. She is quick to stress that there are no hard and fast rules when it comes to finding a good business name but there are things to watch out for:
- Don't pick a descriptive name.
- Don't pick a word/phrase that is ubiquitous in your industry.
- Don't pick a name that is too hard to spell or pronounce.
- Don't pick a name that is accurate over one that feels right.
- Don't pick a name that is similar to a competitor in your industry or globally recognised in any industry.
Silva goes into more detail about these points and the backstory for why she settled on Worstofall Design over at Forbes.